This week, Experience API (xAPI) version 1.0.3 was released.
You can find the newest version of the specification here on GitHub: https://github.com/adlnet/xAPI-Spec.
ADL would like to express its gratitude to the members of the xAPI Spec Group for their consistent work to improve the specification. To learn more about the xAPI Spec Group (or to join and help the effort), please visit https://groups.google.com/a/adlnet.gov/forum/#!forum/xapi-spec.
Among the changes in this version of xAPI:
- Grouping the specification into three parts:
- Part One: About the Experience API presents an introduction, information on how to read the rest of the specification, definitions and other background information.
- Part Two: Experience API (Data) defines the structure of xAPI data and other rules related to data format.
- Part Three: Data Processing, Validation and Security includes details about the transport of xAPI data and how requests are secured and validated.
- Changing terminology to move away from the term 'activity providers' in favor of 'learning content providers'
To learn more about this latest version of the xAPI and ADL's plans for the future of the specification, please read this brief interview with ADL xAPI Spec Group organizer Andy Johnson: https://www.adlnet.gov/interviewing-xapi-spec-group-organizer/.